Friday, January 7, 2011

Lego Star Wars Birthday Party!

Okay so what do you do when your child wants a party theme that you cannot find the ready-made party supplies for? Do you pull your hair out? I almost did....but then I came across a blog  by Aimee Austin Designs where some ideas were posted of her version of a "homemade" Lego Star Wars Birthday party. It had some great ideas so I decided to take those ideas and come up with my own version of one. I was very happy with the end result. If you want to check out Aimee Austin's blog, here is the link: http://aimeeaustin.wordpress.com/party-time-lego-star-wars/
(I won't take credit for all the work, ha ha!)

Another great blog to check out for more Lego Star Wars ideas is Bliss Off:
http://www.blissoff.com/2010/06/06/star-wars-lego-birthday-party/
There were some super creative ideas posted there!

One last really neat place to check out is: http://www.livinglocurto.com/2009/08/star-wars-free-printable-tags-stickers/
At this site, you can download some really cute Lego Star Wars backpack tags and stickers. I found this site after I had done my party...wish I would've found it before. Oh well!

Once I got into the project and did a little research, I found several resources to use for the party and then I just filled in the gaps with a little creativity of my own. With a little elbow grease, some scissors, cardstock, glue and a good laser printer, I was able to make all of my own decorations.

For those of you who are interested in finding links to find some of the custom supplies, please check out the following sites to get those. What is great about the labels and invites is that you can just order the files and print directly from your own computer and printer:

custom invites and certificates:  http://www.princessandthepeas.com/
                              


These are example copies of the products I ordered for our party. There are other designs to choose from. You can print as many as you like. I printed extras and used them to make my party favor bags.


We used plain silver and gold gift bags that we purchased from the dollar store and cut and glued our invite pictures on them and filled them with all sorts of goodies!


custom water bottle labels, cake topper & cupcake/cookie toppers:   http://www.ecrater.com/search.php?keywords=lego+star+wars&srn=1 (you will need to browse through the items to find all of the custom items available for ordering)


I had a friend make the cake (Thanks Carla!) and add the edible top design to it. Then we added Lego minifigures all around it to customize it!


These are edible cupcake or cookie toppers. They come in sheets of 12 per page and are super affordable. Each topper has a different Lego Star Wars character on it. I thought these were the neatest things!

Thanks to Aimee Austin...I followed her lead and made my own plates. I used plastic clear plates and used clear tacky glue to adhere the pictures onto the under side of them. The pictures were printed on my laser printer on regular printer paper. Very easy to do.



I made this homemade sign by taking a piece of black foam board and gluing all of my pictures onto it. I found pictures to print online by doing a search and browsing through numerous pics until I found what I was looking for.

We had a Star Wars table set up with the goody bags and all of the Star Wars memorabilia that we could find laying around the house.



I made my own paper chains to hang as decorations on several tables. On the top one, I used a custom water bottle label template that I ordered from ecrater.com and some colored paper. On the bottom one, I found some images on the internet by doing a web search.



These are pics of my party tablescape. I used crepe paper for the streamers and sprinkled confetti stars on the table top. I also hung homemade stars from the chairs and light fixture.


I used hollywood themed stars that I found at the Dollar store that came in a pack of 5 for $1 and spray painted them and glued printed pictures on them.

Here is a closer view of my cake and side decorations pieces.


This is my interpretation of a decoration that Aimee Austin did. For mine, I used a tissue box and spray painted it silver. I then glued printed pictures around all four sides. I then found a plastic party centerpiece with streamers from the dollar store. It had stars, balloons and "happy birthday" signs stapled to the streamers. I removed those and added my own homemade cutout Lego Star Wars logos and minifigures to it.


We had a ton of light sabers so we made a lightsaber station and placed it next to the R2-D2 trashcan my son and I made. I am not an artist so it probably could've been better but....you get the idea. I used a dry erase marker to make a rough sketch on the trash can because you can wipe it off easily. Then I used metallic blue and silver craft paint and a black paint pen to complete the project. We kept R2-D2 and he now sits in my son's room and he uses it as a toy bin.


So that was our Lego Star Wars party! Even without readymade supplies we managed to pull it off! I hope our ideas inspire you to create your own Lego Star Wars party. It really can be easy to do. I would love some feed back and ideas from my readers so please comment! 

1 comment: